I mentioned in the last post that I picked up another hobby, and that is spinning! At Osborn in one of the buildings/house there is a room where some ladies spin and some knit. One of the spinners asked me if I wanted to do it, and I said yes (of course!). I liked doing it, and she said she would sell me the roving (the fluffy wool rolled into a ball), and she knew one of the booths on the grounds sold handmade drop spindles. I ended up buying both, and got started in the car. It's a good car activity-keeps your hands busy! they have get some pictures of spinning up. This is what I have done so far, it takes practice to get a good consistency and do it fast. I'm trying! I can't wait to knit or crochet with my home-spun yarn! I think it's gonna be a while though... hopefully not. :)
It takes practice! Notice the drop spindle; suspended in mid-air.
The big fluffy material is wool. SO soft before you spin it, and after, not so much. The wool in that state is called roving. I would love to get fun, dyed roving for Christmas, or my birthday next year!
I found this quote on a website while I was trying to figure out the name roving on google, and thought it was pretty encouraging, cause today I probably dropped it the most! says: “…and the spindle falls, don’t be discouraged. Just pick it up and try again. Many people will tell you that it is called a drop spindle because it just dropped. Take your time and practice, you will get it with time. It only looks easy after you have learned how. It just takes a few minuets to learn how to spin; it takes a lifetime to perfect the skill.”
-Kathryn of the Hills (whoever/whatever that is....) ;)
Yay, sounds like you're having fun! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
ReplyDeleteHey!
ReplyDeleteDid you know that both Sarah and I have dropspindles? And a HUGE supply of cotton, too, except it's the pure & natural stuff and hasn't even had the yuckies carded out of it! (bits of dry leaves, nettles, bark, etc.) Dad got it from a supplier friend who works in Kentucky or something. He asked for a little for Sarah to work with and they sent us a HUGE box! So, if you ever want to get together and dye some with natural dyes (beets, onions, google it and there's lots :0 ) I'd looove to too! Let's set a date!
-Raye