Friday, April 15, 2011

Music to my mouth.

This semester I am in two classes having to do with food.  I love food, and like baking and cooking it as well.... (I prefer baking, it usually yields a bit sweeter delicacy.)  Probably my favorite thing that I've baked so far in my finite kitchen practice, is Lemon Poppy Seed Bread.  It's not just regular old lemon poppy seed bread, it has a delicious orange juice, sugary, vanilla glaze that you spread on the bread right when you pull it out of the oven.  I might have to make that. Soon.

About the classes, the first is a Nutrition class at Hawkeye.  It is much more concerned about the scientific effect of what food does to your body, helps, hinders, etc.  I have learned a lot through it, at least now I say something when I or one of my family frosts their toast with butter... Or like last night, "Mc Donald's fries are so good-- and fattening!"  Oh well, I may come to a point someday where I'll actually implement what I'm just listening to or saying myself.   But every once in a while (that's the key) it's just fine to have that bacon splurge, fried wontons, or... Mc Donald's fries! :)


The other is through Valley Lutheran High School.  It is titled Culinary Arts, but it's not really advanced enough to deserve that name.  It may have been, given more time, but a once a week meeting makes it quite difficult to make elaborate dishes like Julia Child would.  That's the kind of Culinary Arts class I would like to find.  One that teaches me to present food in palatable, artful ways, with presentation and style.  


I have related cooking, baking --anything really, done in the kitchen, to playing a musical interment.  So what do I play? What have I been practicing lately?  I love playing the beautiful instrument I like to call, the kitchen.  Given the music, anyone (that has access to a grocery store, and a forgiving food allowance in the budget ;) can play the masterpieces created by amazing cooks and chefs from around the globe.  And, as with anything worth doing, "playing" the kitchen takes practice, inspiration and perseverance... Right? So, I suggest shuffling through some old "music" books, add a new bow, pick, or reed and get cookin'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment